Domestic Violence Lawyer Alexandria VA
Domestic Violence Lawyer
Families get distorted when violence steps in and misunderstanding kick-off. It is easy to break a family unit but it is difficult to create one. Various reasons lead to the splitting up of households, but assault in the family is a major concern. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA handles and resolves all kinds of familial issues. Domestic violence can be recognized as an offensive physical contact or progression that places the safety of a household member at stake. A proven household assault conviction can lead to serious consequences including criminal records, incarcerations, loss of specific privileges, etc. The Law Offices of SRIS, P.C. is your one-point solution for all assault charges, especially domestic violence.
A lawyer in Alexandria VA
Some of the recognized family members include:
- Romantically linked partners, who cohabited in the same house for at least 6 months.
- Legally married couples.
- Divorced partners.
- The biological parents of a child or two or more children.
- Individuals, who share rooms or dorms.
- Siblings, who have the same parents.
- Siblings, who have one common parent.
- Relatives, who are connected by blood. These relatives include grandparents, step-grandparents, parents, children, etc.
- In-laws of a household.
A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA proceeds with a case only after ensuring the nature of the relationship between the perpetrator and victim. Domestic violence lawsuits are majorly registered by the people, who experience physical or sexual abuse within families. The initial duty of a lawyer Alexandria VA is to acquire a protective order for the attacked household member. Courts issue emergency protective orders immediately after the registration of the familial abuse cases. The validity of an emergency protective order is 72 hours. These orders are issued to bring situations under control.
A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is expected to deal with two kinds of protective orders in these cases:
- ‘No harmful or offensive contact’ emergency protective order – In these cases, the defendant and plaintiff can still contact each other. But the domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA should ensure that the contact made is non-offensive.
- ‘No contact’ emergency protective order – Contact, in any form, is prohibited on these occasions. In a simpler context, the defendant and victim are no longer permitted to meet or contact each other. Digital means of contact are also prohibited.
In several cases, the domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA applies for a preliminary protection order, upon receiving requests for the same from the concerned client. This preliminary protection order extends the validity of the existing emergency protection order for a specific period that is less than 15 days. These preliminary orders last until the hearing that is compulsorily attended by both the parties of the criminal case. The domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA places a petition for issuing a permanent protection order for the applicant, who seeks the same. The validity of this permanent order is a maximum of 2 years.
A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is familiar with the limitations that come in with these permanent orders. All people, who have protection orders existing against them, are legally forbidden from purchasing or possessing weapons. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is acquainted with the importance of being adherent to these court orders. Any minor violation of an existing protection order can result in huge consequences. Therefore, a domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA instructs every client to abide by the rules of the prevalent orders. Consult a domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA to better understand these protective orders.
Domestic violence criminal charges
A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA interprets familial abuse as an offense that is specifically committed against a household member. The following are some of the assault cases that are commonly brought to the attention of a domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA.
- A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA conceives strangulation as the act of exerting violent pressure on the neck of an individual to block respiration or blood flow. The pressure can be imposed utilizing human hands, ropes, telephone wires, pieces of clothing, etc. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is familiar with the prosecution of strangulation as a felony of class 6. Possible penalties for this crime include a jail sentence for a maximum of 12 months or imprisonment for a period ranging between 1 year and 5 years and a fine of up to $2500.
- This transgression is reported for inflicting physical wounds on a familial member. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA, who represents the injured plaintiff, is bound to prove the criminal motives behind the actions of the defendant. In a simpler context, the transgressors should have intended to hurt, disfigure, injure, or kill the victim. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is cognizant of the code of law that recognizes this crime as a felony of class 2. Possible consequences of this perpetration include incarceration for a period ranging between 5 and 20 years and a fine of up to $100000.
- Intentional violation of a protective order can lead to the acquisition of one or more criminal convictions. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA is acquainted with the consequences that can be incurred upon disregarding any protecting order. Violation of a protective order is regarded as a misdemeanor of class 1. Potential aftermaths of a proven violation include a jail sentence for a period ranging between 1 day and 1 year and a maximum fine of $2500.
- Stalking is regarded as the act that affects the daily activities of a person. A domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA would have dealt with numerous cases of personal, digital, or offensive stalking. These situations demand immediate solutions that put an end to being stalked constantly by a household member. The lawyer in Alexandria VA is aware of the legal conceptualization of stalking as a misdemeanor of class 1. Possible punishments for stalking include a maximum 1-year jail sentence and a fine of up to $2500.
A lawyer in Alexandria VA is cognizant of the ways with which an assault charge is prosecuted at the court. Therefore, guidance from an experienced domestic violence lawyer Alexandria VA at the Law Offices of SRIS, P.C., is an essential component of all abuse and battery issues.